The FDA authorized the Viagra-like medication flibanserin (Addyi) in 2015 to treat premenopausal women with female sexual interest/arousal disorder (FSIAD). FSIAD is often referred to as a condition of hypoactive sexual drive (HSDD).HSDD is the most prevalent kind of female sexual dysfunction. Addyi is the first medication to receive approval and can only be obtained from specific doctors and pharmacies.
What is Addyi
It comes as an oral tablet called ADDYI (flibanserin). 2HBenzimidazol-2-one, 1,3-dihydro-1-[2-[4-[3-(trifluoromethyl)phenyl]-1-piperazinyl]ethyl] is the chemical name for flibanserin. Its weight molecularly is 390.41, and its equation is C20H21F3N4O.
A multipurpose, non-hormonal serotonin agonist-antagonist, Addyi (MSAA), while decreasing serotonin levels, Addyi appears to rebalance the brain chemicals dopamine and norepinephrine, which are both responsible for sexual arousal. FDA claims that the precise mechanism, like many medications, is unknown.
Flibanserin can be seen as a white or off-white particle that is insoluble in water and acetone, easily soluble in chloroform, and has a high solubility in methylene chloride. It also has moderate solubility in methanol, ethanol, acetonitrile, and toluene.
Flibanserin 100 mg is the active ingredient in each Addyi pill. Microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, talc, macrogol, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, and the coloring additives titanium dioxide and iron oxide are among the inactive substances.
Based on the drugstore you go to, Addyi price for a 100 mg oral tablet is around $560 for 30 tablets. There are several medicines avaialbl in the market. Some of them are generic medicines which are equally effective in treating problems such as erectile dysfunctin. You can get medicines like Tadalafil and Vidalista from Generic Pharma USA.
What Is Addyi Used For?
Women who have not undergone menopause and have not previously experienced reduced sexual desire are treated with Addyi for decreased sex desire. It should only be taken when a lack of sex isn’t brought on by a physical ailment, mental illness, marital issues, drug usage, or other medications.
Women who have previously experienced menopause should avoid taking Addyi. Men should not take this medication either. The drug flibanserin is not employed to improve sex performance.
What Are the Side Effects of Addyi?
Flibanserin side effects may include fatigue, nausea, dizziness, or drowsiness. Contact your physician or pharmacist as soon as possible should these side effects persist or worsen.
Remember that your doctor recommended this medication because they believe it will benefit you more than harm you—many users of this medicine report no significant negative effects.
Even when using flibanserin by itself, low B.P. and fainting are still possible Addyi side effects. Suppose you consume this medicine with alcohol or within two hours of it, outside of bedtime, or in more significant amounts than recommended, your risk of experiencing these adverse effects increases. Immediately lie down if you start to feel lightheaded or dizzy.
Dosage: How Much Addyi Should I Take?
- 100 mg orally, once daily, before bed.
- To reduce the chances of hypotension, fainting, accidents, and CNS depression, Addyi is used at bedtime.
- If the patient doesn’t have an improvement in symptoms, this medication should be stopped after 8 weeks.
- Start taking Addyi two weeks after your last dosage of CYP3A4 inhibitor if you have used a mild or potent CYP3A4 inhibitor.
- If you want to start taking a medium or heavy CYP3A4 inhibitor after taking Addyi, do so two days after your last dosage of Addyi.
- The danger of acute hypotension and syncope increases after taking Addyi within 2 hours of drinking. Addyi Users must wait at least 2 hours after having liquor before consuming Addyi at night to lower this risk. As an alternative, advise patients to forego the ADDYI dose if they drank that night. Patients should be advised to wait until the next day to consume alcohol after swallowing ADDYI at bedtime.
- If you suffer from any allergies, including to flibanserin or any other drugs, let your pharmacist or doctor know before using flibanserin. Inactive chemicals in this product can trigger allergies or other issues.
- Inform your pharmacist or doctor about your medical history before using this medicine, mainly if you have used alcohol, consumed drugs often, have liver issues, or have low blood pressure.
- Don’t give anyone else this medication.
- Skip the dose you missed if you forget to take it. At night the following day, take your subsequent dose. To catch up, do not increase the quantity.
- Only if required should this medication be used during pregnancy. Address the pros and cons with your doctor.
- If you’re taking this medication, avoid eating or drinking grapefruit except if your physician or pharmacist advises it’s safe for you too. The probability of this medication’s adverse effects may be increased by grapefruit.
- Very severe adverse reactions to this medicine are quite uncommon. However, if you experience any significant adverse reaction symptoms, such as rashes, itching or inflammation, severe disorientation, or difficulty breathing, seek medical attention right away.
- Driving, operating machinery, and other tasks requiring concentration should be avoided until at least six hours after consuming flibanserin and till you can perform them safely.
Alternative Medicine of Addyi
Bremelanotide has received approval as a novel medication for premenopausal women with reduced libido. The injectable drug, marketed under the trade name Vyleesi, is used to treat a condition referred to as hypoactive sexual drive disorder (HSDD).
Flibanserin is an oral pill that must be taken every day to have any impact, which is demonstrated to be negligible compared to a placebo. Addyi is the brand name for it. Sleepiness and fainting, as well as adverse reactions to liquor and other prescription drugs frequently taken by sexually active women, are some of the more concerning side effects. Bremelanotide, also known as Vyleesi in the U.S., is often delivered intravenously in the thigh or stomach around 45 minutes before sexual intercourse.
The scarce available data also indicates little difference in the primary outcome for women in the number of pleasurable sexual encounters. One frequent side effect that appears counterproductive is nausea.
Like in most medications, Drug interactions could alter how Addyi function in your body or raise the possibility of significant adverse side effects. Maintain track of everything you use, including herbal products, prescription, and over-the-counter medications, and provide it to your physician and pharmacist. Without your doctor’s approval, never initiate, halt, or alter the dosage of any medicines.