Did you know 1 out of 10 men is supposed to have experienced an Erectile dysfunction problem at least once during their lifetime? Erectile dysfunction affects the sexual health of many men all over the world.
If you wonder what erectile dysfunction is, read on to know more about the topic. If you seek treatment for this issue, it is better to know a few more things before proceeding with the treatment.
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to keep an erection during sex. This happens due to decreased flow of blood to the penis. Over 30 million people alone in the United States suffer from ED.
There are few symptoms of ED. They are:
- Trouble getting an erection
- Trouble keeping an erection during sex
ED can affect one’s self-esteem and even lead to depression. It might even lead to relational problems. ED can be a symptom of rather complex underlying diseases. It is a good idea to consult a doctor if this problem persists.
Working on Erectile Dysfunction
During sexual activity, the chemicals released by the nerves increase blood flow into the penis. The spongy tissues relax and trap blood. Due to the increased blood pressure, the penis becomes firm and causes an erection. After orgasm, another set of nerve signals causes the tissues in the penis to contract, and the blood is released back into circulation. As a result, the erection comes down.
What causes Erectile Dysfunction?
If you wonder what causes erectile dysfunction, there are several reasons, including emotional and physical. Common problems are being over the age of 50, high blood sugar, cardiovascular diseases, too much smoking, alcohol, high cholesterol, lack of exercise, and being obese. However it is believed that the problem of Erectile Dysfunction is common among older people, but that is not true.
What can be the physical causes of ED?
Erectile dysfunction can happen when blood flows into the penis is low. This may be caused due to hardened arteries or high diabetes. It might also be possible that the spinal cord or brain nerve signals do not reach the penis due to injury or surgery in the pelvic area. Diabetes can cause damage to the penis. Drugs used to treat other problems can also harm erections.
What can be the emotional causes of Ed?
Any sort of relationship or emotional problem can worsen erectile dysfunction. Common emotional issues that can cause Erectile Dysfunction are Anxiety, Depression, and stress.
At what age Erectile Dysfunction occurs?
If you are wondering at what age erectile dysfunction then here are some statistical figures for you. Though older men have a greater risk of erection, it is possible among younger ones. About 26% of men below 40 years of age and around 8% of men below 30 years of age are affected by ED. Almost 45 % of men between the age limit of 65 to 74 suffer from Erectile Dysfunction.
Medical Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction
The most commonly used drug to treat erectile dysfunction is Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors, also known as PDE-5. The ones included under PDE-5 are sildenafil, vardenafil, and tadalafil. The FDA approves all these medications. Even with these medications, sexual stimulation is necessary for erection. However, this might help relieve one’s performance anxiety.
- Sildenafil (Viagra) – There is a common myth that sildenafil will increase your sex drive. But this is not true. Sildenafil will work only if you are sexually excited. The recommended dosage for viagra is 25 to 100 mg. It usually takes around 30 to 60 minutes to be fully absorbed by your body.
- Tadalafil (Cialis) – Tadalafil is another oral drug. Though it works similar to sildenafil, the structure is slightly different. It helps relax the muscles, which increases blood flow and causes an erection. The dosage may vary from 5 to 20 mg.
- Vardenafil (Levitra) – Another oral drug, quite similar to sildenafil and tadalafil, helps increase the concentration of cyclic guanosine monophosphate in the corpus cavernosum of the penis. This increases the chances of an erection during sex.
- Avanafil (Stendra) – This medicine is very effective. Its working is quite similar to that of other drugs. Its effect can last as long as 12 hours. People suffering from severe liver diseases should not use this medicine.
Is it possible to prevent Erectile Dysfunction?
Yes, it is possible to prevent erectile dysfunction by choosing a healthy lifestyle. ED is often caused by underlying health problems which we are unaware of. For instance, you can try consulting your doctor to treat diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, etc. One should quit smoking and avoid drinking or drugs. These are bad habits and can harm your healthy living in several ways.
Those suffering from psychological problems can opt for counseling to avoid anxiety, depression, or other mental ailments. It is an excellent habit to exercise daily to help one stay fit.