INDICATIONS OF LEVOTHYROXINE SODIUM TABLETS
Synthroid is used for treating low thyroid hormone levels and certain types of goiters. It is also used with surgery and other medicines for managing certain types of thyroid cancer. Synthroid is a thyroid hormone. It works by replacing thyroid hormone when your body does not make enough on its own.
INSTRUCTIONS OF LEVOTHYROXINE SODIUM TABLETS
Use Synthroid as directed by your doctor.
- Take Synthroid by mouth on an empty stomach at least one-half to one hour before breakfast.
- Do not take an antacid or a product that has iron or calcium in it within 4 hours of taking Synthroid.
- If the patient is a child or if you cannot swallow the tablet whole, you may crush the correct dose of the medicine. Add the crushed medicine to 1 to 2 teaspoons (5 to 10 mL) of water. Mix well. Use a spoon or dropper to give the medicine as soon as possible. Do not store the mixture for later use. Do not mix crushed tablets in soybean infant formula. Ask your pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Synthroid works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Continue to take Synthroid even if you feel well. Do not miss any dose.
- It may take several weeks before you notice an improvement in your symptoms. Do not stop or change your dose of Synthroid without first checking with your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Synthroid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Synthroid.
STORAGE OF LEVOTHYROXINE SODIUM TABLETS
Store Synthroid between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Protect from heat, light, and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Synthroid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Levothyroxine sodium